Thursday, April 7, 2011

Garden Planning

Since I don't foresee getting any farm animals this year I am laying out some plans for a garden or two. I know that I get to plant a huge veggie garden at my moms. This is something I am really excited about but it is also a 20 minute drive there and another 20 minutes home.

The drive still beats the price for potentially poor tasting supermarket produce. I am extremely grateful that I get to use her land to plant fresh veggies. I do however have a porch that we don't use much. It is really long and completely enclosed. I hope to use this to keep a few extra plants and grow some herbs.

I asked my friends on Facebook to help me with some ideas. If I can grow some herbs and a few tomato and pepper plants I should be able to cut down on the extra trips to the grocery store. My hubby loves a few of the expensive peppers and some strange tomatoes and I really like the roma tomatoes.

By the time I am done I may have the entire porch filled with potted veggies and herbs. I just really want to grow as much of my own food as I can and learn to can, freeze or dry anything that will last. If I can't do that this summer how will I take care of a farm. So this year I will bring a piece of the farm to my city dwelling and see how well I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment