Friday, April 15, 2011

Bringing Home Baby Chicks

First Day with the Chicks
This household changed in the instant I brought six baby chicks home. They are not hard to care for and there are plenty of online communities that can help if you have questions. They are however very cute and fun to watch.  I spent some time setting up a brooder and making sure they were warm enough. Then I brought Asuka, my German shepherd, into the mix. The dog is still not sure what to think about the chicks but I am hoping to socialize her with them.


Basic Supplies
I went the weekend before and picked up all the supplies I needed for the chicks except the actual bin to put the chicks in. I purchased the wood chip bedding that my local Tractor Supply suggested, a large bag of starter feed, water and food containers, a warming light and a book about chickens. Just before I picked up the chicks I bought a big plastic tub to serve as a temporary home for my chicks.

I like to be well prepared so I bought supplies beforehand yet the planner in me still wishes that I had set up the brooder before bringing the chicks home. It would be just as easy to pick up all the supplies and the chicks at the same time. If I do this again I will set it up so it is nice and warm and all I have to do is plop the babies down into their new home.

Chickens are Easy
Thus far chickens are much easier than puppies and just as cute. The only thing I have to do constantly is check their food and water. They get their bedding in it and they poop in it so it has to be changed often. Thus far they seem to get the mess in the water more than the food. I have placed a wood block under it where they can still get plenty of water but it is not right on the shavings. Other than that they are no hassle at all.

I have done puppies and they are so much work the first few months but as far as I can tell chickens are easy. I know as they grow I will face some challenges but for now they are just cute little fuzz balls I can’t stay away from.  There is no setting my alarm to take the chickens out and they are not chewing up my bed sheets or trying to eat electrical cords.

Still Learning
I have been reading books, forum posts, blogs and magazines about chickens and I am still learning new things each day. I have no intentions of becoming a general chicken expert but I do hope to gain a lot of knowledge about the chickens I am raising. They seem happy and healthy and I plan to keep it that way as long as it is within my power. I will leave you with something my new catch phrase “stop dreaming and just make it happen.” Okay it needs work but I am getting there.

2 comments:

  1. I was reading through some other blogs and clicked your link. The chicks look cute :) One of my friends had chicks as pets in her backyard until she got too ill to care for them. She even had a rooster that crowed at dawn as well.

    ReplyDelete