Sunday, May 15, 2011

Farming is Fun

I really wish I could remember to take some pictures when I go out to Schooner Farms. Since I can't remember I will just give you a basic update and share a cute goat picture with you. They don't have goats but I love the picture.

On the Farm

Well I have been out to Schooner Farms three times now. It is a very nice farm as far as I can tell they plant berries and veggies. They also have bees and chickens and I went home on my long day with a dozen eggs and a chicken. I won't always get food but I am considering purchasing a share. It is kind of expensive but well worth it to know where the food I put on the table came from. My mom said she would buy the veggies we don't like and show me how to preserve things we can't eat right away.

I have to say I really enjoyed the work. I dug a lot of trenches for potatoes and was able to learn about the whole potato planting process. I also planted leeks and some type of cabbage and sifted compost and raked freshly tilled walking areas. I am quite the wimp but I have been working through the aches and pains. I take breaks when my hip (the one I broke two years ago) starts to act up. Despite the aches and pains I feel great compared to days of sitting at a desk or on the couch.

I am slow but I get the work done and I hope to speed up as my body gets used to working harder. I am hoping to learn a lot more because the more I read and the more I work the more I am longing for the country life. I find myself thinking about pushing off other responsibilities to go spend some time gardening or out with the chickens.

At Home
I have spent a lot of time on the chicken coop and now that it is finished I am hoping to get it moved to an area that gets sun most of the day not just over half the day. I would also like it in a flatter area but I am not sure how we are going to get that done. I have spend quite a few hours letting the girls roam the yard but I have to keep a close eye on them so for now they can only come out when I am free to watch them.

Remember those dozen eggs I got from the farm? Well I was eating one or two for breakfast most days and can I say YUMMY! Would it be too childish to say Yummy again? I have never liked an egg so much in my life. I can't wait to taste the chicken. So now I can't wait until my chickens start producing.

Other news in my life is that I have a few projects to work on. None of it looks to be paid anytime soon but I am going to have to organize my time better. I have grant stuff to work on and book reviews to do and a few other things. I love to write so as long as some of this leads to paying work in the future I am fine with it but I can't always do this stuff for free. I guess I will have to write some goals and timelines and if things are not working out by a certain date I will have to evaluate and drop some unpaid work.

New Goals

So my new goals look like this:


  • Make a to do list every day
  • Don't sit idle until the list is finished
  • Don't waste time surfing the net
  • Learn how to organize my day so that I get the most done.
  • Write 2 blog posts a week for this blog 
  • Find other writers that want to write for Dark Novels and just write when I can.
  • Write an Examiner article once a week
  • Work on grants after meeting with the ladies I will be writing for
  • Keep the house clean (this one I hate)
There are many more things that will go on my to do list but for now those are some of the things I find important. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you have quite a list there. I have to admire you if you stick to it. I, on the other hand, do best with complete freedom and open choices every single moment of my life. I try to only do what I'm inspired to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a really charming picture of a goat you got up there. looking forward to your updates with regards to the new goals you set, i myself made some not too long ago and i've already managed to cross out a quarter of everything i wrote down...wishing you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish you all the luck on your to-do list! Wish you will be able to accomplish all that you have set out to do. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little one is so cute! Good luck with that list. I can usually keep them up for about 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. little baby cute goat looks really very cute in the picture. here for more cute animals photos http://cutefunnyanimal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete